Thursday 28 January 2016

What is freedom?

I have been thinking what the word freedom means lately and I can't quite put my finger on it. Freedom is such a large topic/idea it’s almost not real and maybe doesn't exist. It’s a feeling or motion that people believe in as they move in time. It’s something that is made true by the people in society who listen to and believe the authorities (and I don't just mean the Government) who in many ways tell us what is freedom. 

A lot of people say they are free - but are they truly free? Now I’m not talking about societal strains that make us like robots or whatever they want us to be and think. I’m talking about ourselves - do we stop ourselves from being free? I think we do, and probably unconsciously. Right now I couldn't tell you what I think freedom is because in different contexts it has many different meanings.  But I’ll give it a go. Right now freedom is to be free of constraints (physically and mentally) and fears. It is the ability to do as one wishes without doubt. When one is free there are no regrets. Maybe this has something to do with what I’ve been reading - however it’s something bothering me and I really want to explore this concept because I think we can be free - well more than we are now. I want to understand why we hold ourselves from freedom and doubt so much. I want to understand if the fear of regret stops us from being free. Actually, what is the difference between being free and feeling free? I guess feeling free is something bubbling inside us and does not determine whether actions are always followed through, perhaps we have to truly believe we are free or be free to exercise freedom. I don’t know about you but I think it’s a waste of time to feel something and not act upon it. What are we so afraid of? 

To be open, I am an example of someone who hasn't acted upon my feelings of freedom and I don’t know why. There was a longing for it, but in the past I have stopped my self because of what I thought I was 'supposed to do and not do'. Do I have regrets - well no because I am growing to not walk in the steps of what others believe I should do, but I’m learning where I should go. I’m not sure yet, but I feel free. 

To hold on to something that hurts us prevents us from being free. If someone offends you or makes you feel horrible and unworthy or whatever, and you resent them or expect an apology - you are preventing yourself from being free. Just let it go. Let those feelings of resentment go - that is what it is to be free, or part of. It is better to be free than right or stubborn. I am one of those people who wastes no time in caring if someone has offended me. One because I went to a school where everyone was made fun of - no seriously everyone I know from my secondary school has thick skin. Second, what’s the point of using my face muscles to be upset and literally waste my time thinking about how much that person has annoyed me. Sorry, I have no time for that - understand the world is carrying on with or without you. 

What else? Well, freedom is used in so many cliché sayings and people say them or read them to make themselves feel better. Reading freedom statements does not mean you instantly become free. It is being aware of how you react in tough situations - that help you to change. For example, if someone offends or hurts you - how do you react in that situation? Do you tell them you are not happy with whatever they did and then move on. Or do you ponder on what that person has done to you for a whole week and wish you said something else but didn't think of it at the time? Choose the former - please. 

I want to believe I'm free and act upon this. We would all be so much happier I think. Just looking at people on the tube in the morning with frowning faces just illustrates a lot of us are not free. Besides the fact they are on a stuffy tube, maybe they are going to jobs which they have not freely chosen to do but because of someone’s influence in their lives. I can’t live a life like that. What is the point of running around if it’s not your choice to do so. Let’s not even talk about choice because that's for another day. 

Let's not have doubts and regrets, but be free in our own way. 



xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment